Just my travels

Friday, June 1, 2007

Movin on.......

I have left the beauty of north Texas and now in the hot desert of west Texas. Yes, I was home for 2 days over the holiday. Got the lawn mowed, the cows worked, and got to be with my sweet wife and sleep in my own bed for 2 whole nights.

The well near Graham was not finished, but I was desperately need here to relieve a guy who was going on vacation. He was in the middle of a new well completion and they just couldn't shut it down for 2 weeks. So, I drove all day on Memorial day from Yukon to Carlsbad NM. It just happens that this is the best motel in the area. I am staying at the Stephens Best Western. Not new, and in need of an update. So if is the best, I would hate to see what is next on the list.

I haven't had a chance to check out the town very much. But, you can imagine west Texas. Kinda flat, some hills, with very few homes. A lot of ghost towns, Mesquite bushes, sand and 70 MPH two lane hi ways.

Speaking of ghost towns, the well I am working on is east of a west Texas ghost town called Orla. It is on the map, but nothing there but old gutted buildings. Some still have the signs on them. Like J&L Liqueur store, Orla Gro, and an old service station. The well is 58 miles south and east of Carlsbad NM. So, I have already settled into a routine.

Since I sleep in NM, I am on mt time, and nothing opens until 6AM. Well, I work on central time and that is 7AM. So I get up, shower and shave, go eat breakfast and then boogie south. I stop in Loving NM for a cup and gas then on to the well. I am late every morning. Then when the day is over, I head back, stop and get a Subway, go to my room and eat. Watch a little TV, call Karen and go to sleep...... do it all over again the next day.

I have a good crew of Mexicans that can almost speak English. Jesus is the operator and king. Hector is the #2 man and works derricks. He spends most of his time on the cell phone. He has a booth in a flea market on weekends, and is constantly ordering stuff or checking on it. The other two guys speak no English, so I haven't got to know them very well. I think they are brothers, because they look just alike. They all are a pleasure to work with. They do anything I ask and never complain. And it was 100 degrees today.

Switching subjects: My youngest daughter just got back from Siberia. She went there with a fellow missionary to check out living conditions etc for her friend. I just read of her journey. I am so envious. I would love to see the world like she has. She and her husband live and work in Crimea, Ukraine. They are missionaries and besides working for the BIG BOSS they get to see a lot of the world. I miss her a lot, and want to see her again soon. She and her husband are planning to come home for a while this winter. Can't wait!

Our oldest daughter, who lives in Forney TX and is the super mother of the family. She and her husband are raising our 3 grand children. She has and is doing a great job too! Those kids are growing up very nice.

I want all to know that I am so proud of my kids and their families. They all live for the Lord and do His work. What a blessing that is. If you are waiting to get serious about your faith, don't wait. Karen and I are so glad we turned to God when we did. I can't imagine what our lives would be like if He wasn't in charge.

Some of this may be a repeat, but if it is it's important to me, and this is my blog. Thanks for reading and just add a comment to let me know you were here.

Texas is a big state and I am getting to see a lot of it. I will report more on west Texas next blog.

Wish you were here, Randy.

2 comments:

Heidi McKee said...

Loved it, marty and I both love hearing about your journeys...and it sounds like you are doing the traveling bit ;) just not in siberia--but sounds as hot as moscow. Your grandbabies miss you too. Thanks for loving our Savior too! I miss you!

Tammy said...

Dad, I love you. Your blogs are so great. Next time I go to Siberia, you should come with me! You'd love it!
tam

About Me

Some Where in Texas, United States
Travels