Just my travels

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Moving north..........

Just when I thought I was going to see a lot of Texas, I have moved to the White Sands Missile Range of New Mexico! Yes, I am now staying in a the very small town of Carrizozo NM. Where modern facilities such as a cleaners, good restaurants, decent motel or a Wal-Mart. How will I make it. This is what I call roughing it.

The town looks like a town right out of Old Mexico. Adobe buildings, dirty streets and of course Mexicans.

Working 50 miles from town, with an all Mexican crew. I feel like a foreigner. Just like in the Ukraine. It's odd to be the minority in your own country. They are all nice guys. but, only one speaks any English and his accent is thick. I have to listen very close to understand him. The others just look at you when you try to talk to them.

The country is large here. Miles and miles of sage brush, hills and a few cows here and there. However the climate is good for this time of year. It has been pleasant. 50's at night and 72 in the day. I guess being at 7,000 ft above sea level is the factor.

Fathers day is coming up and it looks like I will not be able to be home with my Dad. I am reminded of all the lessons he taught me. It wasn't that he sat me down and told me things, he just lived the lesson. I remember once when I was about 11 or 12 when I was helping him repair the brakes on the car. A neighbor had came over for a visit while we were working. Well, my Dad was telling a story or something, when he said someone had acted like a "drunken Indian". Our neighbor was an Indian. My Dad stop, stood up and apologised to the man, who accepted... The lesson I took from that, is to always admit your mistakes and say your sorry and then accept what comes. I have tried to live my life like that. I didn't do it consciously, but because of my Dad, that lesson will always be there. Thanks Dad, I Love You.

I might say that I could not have been any kind of Dad with out my wife. Whatever good I have done is because "good" exudes from her and I just get to soak a little of it in. Love you Honey!

1 comment:

Heidi McKee said...

How did I miss this one? I love it! You are the best dad!

About Me

Some Where in Texas, United States
Travels